SCCE Application Process
Checklist to Earn Seal of Civic Engagement
- Be Academically Engaged
- Attend classes & enthusiastically support the learning process
- Be on track to graduate with a diploma
- Complete school course requirements
- Demonstrate a competent understanding of the Federal & CA government
- 12th-grade students must earn a passing grade in Gov/Econ course (can be AP Gov and/or CP Gov course)
- 11th-grade students must earn a passing grade in U.S. History course (can be AP U.S. History course)
- Participate in a Civic Action Project
- Students must complete a Civic Engagement Project with a minimum of thirty verified service hours.
- Examples of projects include but are not limited to:
- Direct service: volunteering for non-profit organizations
- Advocacy: trying to influence decisions at the local, state, or federal level to change policy
- Education: raising awareness about a pressing issue or training others to implement a solution
- Innovation: developing a unique solution to a persistent problem in the community
- The project must identify and address a real-world issue
- Demonstrate Civic Knowledge and Skills Through Self-Reflection
- Option 1: Project - After completion of the Civic Action project, students must complete and submit a written reflection and a formal presentation.
- Option 2: Tutoring - After completion of the required tutoring hours, students must complete and submit a written reflection.
- Receive Mentor Recommendation
- Obtain one letter of recommendation from your mentor with the option to submit a secondary letter of recommendation from a local, state, or national official, or non-familial community member.
- Recommendation is to verify civic engagement competency and commitment to community.
- Recommenders should complete a recommendation on official letterhead to be submitted to the Civic Engagement Advisor.
- Submit your work
- Students will submit all work through Google Classroom. See timeline for submission dates and instructions.
Contact Ms. Natalie Naberhaus, Civic Engagement Advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org)