Tuesday, Sept. 2
1. Discuss Creative Non-fiction
2. Review Socratic Seminar format/rubric
3. Practice Socratic Seminar on WAYGWHYB?
1. Read Didion story for discussion Thursday. Story should be annotated, either on a hard copy you print out (preferred) or digitally.
Thursday, Sept. 4
1. PORTFOLIO RETRIEVAL from your last year's class.
2. Discuss Didion story and how it compares to Oates.
3. Introduce Think Piece writing
Answer Didion questions in preparation for an actual Socratic Seminar on Monday about both Oates and Didion stories.
Monday, Sept. 8
1. More practice annotation on Oates and Didion
2. Continue discussing Oates and Didion stories
3. Oates and Didion Socratic Seminar (Per. 4 began this, Per. 6 did not)
4. Discuss the Think Piece and Friday's in class writing (see assignment details under Writing below)
1. Print out, read, and annotate "The Human Cost of an Illiterate Society" posted below under Literature.
2. Print out a Reading Rubric below under Literature and attach it to above article.
3. Begin planning your TP on Oates/Didion Friday
Wednesday, Sept. 10
1. Continue to discuss the TP Friday
2. Continue/begin Socratic Seminar about Oates/Didion stories
NOTE: FOR PERIOD 4 STUDENTS, A HANDOUT ABOUT THE THINK PIECE IS POSTED BELOW. I APOLOGIZE FOR NOT PASSING THIS OUT IN CLASS TODAY. PLEASE READ "AN INFORMAL GUIDE TO WRITING A THINK PIECE" TO HELP YOU WITH FRIDAY'S ASSIGNMENT. THERE IS ALSO ANOTHER HANDOUT POSTED BELOW CALLED "THINK PIECE INFORMATION" WHICH ALL STUDENTS CAN LOOK AT NOW BEFORE FRIDAY'S IN CLASS WRITING.
1. Print, read, and annotate "In the Basement of the Ivory Tower" and print out a RR (not due until Tuesday)
2. Prepare for your in-class TP on Oates/Didion Friday; a Think Piece handout was given out in class, appears below, along with another helpful handout posted under Writing below.
Friday, Sept. 12
1. In-class TP on Oates/Didion
2. If you finish early, begin reading and annotating "The Lobotomized Weasel School of Writing" in class.
Read and annotate "Lobotomized Weasel" (given out in class today). If you finished your writing early and read this in class, bring it to class Tuesday; if you did not read it in class, please read and annotate it for homework and bring it Tuesday).