INFLUENCES ESSAY (3-5 typed pages)
Influence Essay Format
- Relate author/topic to his/her/its environment (i.e. life, issues and events, ideas).
- Use details from this source and the books you have previously read for this project. For example:
- -Twain's novels reflect the author's own childhood and his views about slavery and growing up in the South.
- -The ancient philosopher Plato's ideas about love still influence modern writers who incorporate his concepts into their work.
- Interest Creating Device
- Thesis -" 's life and/or times are reflected in his/her work."
- Statements of Organization -Briefly identify two or more major biographical and/or socio-historical influences that BOTH significantly affected the author(s) and ALSO shaped his/her literary works.
- 1st Influence -Biographical/Historical Paragraph
- Provide biographical/historical evidence (including parenthetical source and page citations) proving that the influence affected the author's life 1st Influence -Novel #1 Paragraph
- Provide textual evidence from Novel #1 (including page citations) and analytic comments showing the 1st influence reflected in Novel #1.
- 1st Influence -Novel #2 Paragraph -Provide textual evidence from Novel #2 with analytic comments showing the 1st influence reflected in Novel #2.
- 2nd Influence -Biographical/Historical Paragraph -Develop 2nd influence in the same way as 1st influence.
- 2nd Influence -Novel #1 Paragraph -Show 2nd influence reflected in Novel #1.
- 2nd Influence -Novel #2 Paragraph -Show 2nd influence reflected in Novel #2.
- Concluding Paragraph
Works Cited -primary and secondary sources
Note: Alternate Organization. Present influences first, each in its own paragraph. Then
present the reflection of the influences in author's works. Each novel will probably be given
its own paragraph. Check with your teacher for more specific details on the organization.