Thematic Essay (3-5 typed pages)
- Identify a major theme in the book.
- Organize by analysis, by episodes or by characters who reflect the theme.
- Use abundant supporting details and explain their relevance to the theme.
Thematic Essay Format:
- ICD and transitional sentence(s) open the paragraph.
- INTRODUCTORY PARAGRAPH: A thematic essay introduction must have a thesis and statements of organization.
- The THESIS for a thematic essay must state a theme. A THEME is defined as a complete sentence expressing a general, abstract, universal idea that the story illustrates.
- The STATEMENTS OF ORGANIZATION may be organized three ways:
- by episodes that illustrate the theme
- by characters who illustrate the theme
- by analysis.
- The SUPPORTING PARAGRAPHS develop the thesis and each statement of organization.
- TOPIC SENTENCES in each paragraph restate the statements of organization provided in the introductory paragraph.
- Relevant TEXTUAL EVIDENCE and ANALYTIC COMMENTARIES support topic sentences.
- The CONCLUDING PARAGRAPH reflects the thesis and organization, extends/deepens the topic, and ends with a closing device.