Home Info General Info/Goals FAQs

Popular Links

Contact AHS

Phone: 818-889-1262

24-Hour Attendance

Fax Numbers:
Main Office: 818-597-0816
Attendance: 818-889-1367
Counseling: 818-889-6640
FAQs PDF Print E-mail
Welcome to the AHS frequently asked questions area of the web site! The questions and answers are organized in tabs by category for easy access. Please email ahsweb@lvusd.org if you have a question that you would like to see added, or if you have a question that needs to be answered. We look forward to hearing from you. There is also a PFC FAQ page that answers questions pertaining to the PFC.

From Administration

Q: Who's who at Agoura High School?

A: Brian Mercer-Principal
­ Sherry Bronow-Assistant Principal-Curriculum and Instruction, Discipline-Students from A-GO
­ Scott Foli-Assistant Principal-Athletics, Discipline-Students from GOO-O
­ Kristen Marsilio-Assistant Principal-Activities, Discipline-Students from P-Z

Q: Where do I pick-up my child?

A: For pre-scheduled appointments-Send student to the Attendance office with a note. Student should bring note to office before he/she needs to leave during support, nutrition or lunch. When returning go to Attendance Office to sign in and bring a note with doctor's stamp.

For emergencies to directly to attendance office. Please do not call your student's cell phone; we will send a pass.

Only parent or legal guardian may check a student out. Only people on the emergency card can take student in an emergency. Make sure it is up to date.

Q: My child is late. What do I do?
A: Student goes directly to the Attendance office to sign in. Send in a note with the reason or call the Attendance office and state the reason. After signing in at the Attendance Office, student goes to class"“no re-admit slips are given.

Q: What do I do if my student was absent?
A: Absences need to be cleared within 72 hours.

To clear an absence, email the Attendance hotline (no need to go to the attendance office) at agouraattendance@lvusd.org or bring a note to the attendance office.

In phone call or note, please give: Student's first name, last name and grade and dates and reason for the absence. Reasons for excused absences: Illness, doctor/dentist appointment, death in the family, religious observances.

Prior approval required for: Court and Trip"“without prior approval these absences will be unexcused.

For excused absences: Students have the right to make up work missed; one day per day absent plus one day after returning; students must initiate make up work.

For unexcused absences: Teachers do not have to allow make-up work.

Q: Why is attendance so important?

­A: Classes: Block schedule-missing one day is equivalent to missing two class periods. Money: School gets approximately $40 per student per day.

Q: Where do I go when I come on campus?
A: Go directly to Attendance or Counseling offices. Anywhere else, please stop at the Main office and check in. Be sure to bring photo identification. For safety reasons, we need to know who is on campus.

Q: Where do I drop something off for my child?
A: We do not deliver items to students in class. If it is an emergency, go to the Main Office and leave it there. Mark the item with students name. Your student can then pick it up at nutrition, lunch or after school.

Q: What is the policy on cell phones?

A: ­ District Policy states no cell phone use during the school day (7:00 a.m. - 2:55 p.m.). First offense, the phone is taken away. Student may pick up at end of day at the Attendance Office. Second offense, parent must come in a pick up the phone or four discipline hours will be assigned.

Q: Is there a dress code in High School?

A: ­ Yes, prohibited items include depictions of violence, drugs, alcohol or tobacco; offensive or vulgar words or sayings, including phrases of a sexual nature or that contain derogatory language; and unruly revealing or that detracts from the educational mission of the school.

Q: Who is my child's counselor?

A: Counselors are assigned according to last name:
­ A - CA  Mrs. Brooks
­ Cb-Goo  Dr. Ordin
­ Gop-Lat  Ms. Craven 
Lau-Pal Mr. Lipka
Pam-She Mrs. Gagliardi
Shf- Z  Mrs. Latty

­ Q: When can my child see his/her counselor?

A: ­ Drop in at Support, Nutrition or Lunch. A student can also leave a note for the counselor to set up a meeting.

Q: How do I contact my student's counselor?

A: ­ You can call (818) 889-1262 x246 or e-mail (addresses are listed on the AHS website).

Q: How can I help my student self-advocate?

A: ­ Encourage them to establish a relationship with their counselor. Encourage your student to talk to you and then encourage your child to talk to his/her teachers, counselors and administrators.

Q: What does my child do if he/she needs to change a class?

A:­ Students have two weeks to request a program change and may see their Counselor during support, nutrition, and lunch. Students receive a program request change form that must be signed by a parent. Class level changes within a subject may be made up to the 10th week of school.

Q: How can parents contact teachers?

A:­ Check our website for: E-mail addresses and voicemail extensions. Call the Main office at 889-1262 and wait for the cue to hear alphabetical list of teachers to leave a message on teacher's voice mail. You can also bring a note to the Main Office to be placed in the teacher's box.

Q: What can I do to help my student academically?

A: 1. Review the syllabus and class guidelines with your student for his/her classes.
2. Ask your student where he/she is writing down homework assignments and periodically check that assignments are completed.
3. Check Aeries for student attendance and class grades. Check teacher website for homework and assignments.
4. Look closely at the 5 week progress report, and contact teachers if you have concerns about grades.
5. You can access grades attendance and discipline information on Aeries. Information has been mailed to all with information on long-in procedures-agoura.mamboschools.com.
6. Have your child attend Student Support Period.
7. Math Tutors are available during Student Support, Lunch, and Period 6 in M-7.
8. The Tutoring Center is Tuesday from 3 - 4:30 p.m. in the Library. All subjects tutored by student tutors (free of charge)

Q: How can my student stay responsible and organized?

A:­ Students are responsible for writing down and completing all homework assigned during class.
­ Students can keep track of homework assigned during class.
­ Students can keep track of homework with an agenda/calendar/organizer (available for sale at the main office during the first few weeks of school).
­ Students can also keep organized by checking teacher web pages.
­ All teachers at Agoura High School are available to assist students during Support Period. Support Period occurs every day between 7:50 a.m. and 8:40 a.m.in the teacher's classroom, except on Late Start Days.

Q: How can parents get involved?

A: You can join clubs such as Parent Faculty Club (PFC)-general school booster; the Charger Club-sports booster; Music Boosters, Theater Arts Booster (TAB) and School Site Council.

Where do I go for information?
­ Website"“agoura.mamboschools.com
­ Booster Club Meetings
­ Marquees
­ School directory
­ Automated phone calls from school administrators
­ Join the AHS PFC yahoo e-mail group

Coursework & Testing

Q: Can I see my student's completed tests?

A: According to official District policy, "Teachers shall use a combination of Formative and Summative assessments and/or activities to assess student progress and achievement.

Formative Assessment: Evaluation administered during a unit of instruction to comprehensively assess student learning and the effectiveness of an instructional method or program administered. For example; quizzes, assignments, and/or projects given during a unit of instruction in preparation for a summative assessment. (List is not inclusive)

Formative Assessments shall be returned to the student prior to a summative assessment being given. Parents may request a copy of the student's completed formative assessment questions and student responses.

Summative Assessment: Evaluation administered at the conclusion of a unit of instruction to comprehensively assess student learning and the effectiveness of an instructional method or program. For example; the unit test given at the end of the unit or a final exam. (List is not inclusive)

Summative Assessments may be reviewed on campus by student and /or parent upon request."

For full information see AR 5121.

Q: Does IPS science count toward the "G" requirement for both UC and CSU universities?

IPS is an approved college prep elective for the UC's and CSU's as it meets their "G" requirement. IPS does not meet the lab science requirement for the UC's. It does meet the lab science requirement for some of the CSU's and some other colleges. Please contact your high school counselor and/or a specific college for more information.

Q: How do we get an advanced cadaver-based anatomy class for 11th/12th grade at AHS?

A: There is a shortage of cadavers available for med schools and universities, putting high schools far down on the list, so we no longer can get them for our courses.

Q: General Information on STAR testing:

A: ­ STAR testing generally takes place in May for three to four days, for 9th, 10th, and 11th graders. It measures mastery of the California Content Standards in Math, Science, English, and Social Studies. The desired achievement level is proficient or advanced. Our API score is based on STAR test scores.

Q: What is CAHSEE?

A:­ CAHSEE stands for California High School Exit Exam. It is taken by all 10th grade students in February, which includes English and Math. Students have to pass both parts to receive a high school diploma. If failed, students have several opportunities to retake only the parts they fail.

Q: If they take and pass the CAHSEE exam and pass in 10th grade, do they need to ever take it again in order to get their diploma?

A: Once the CAHSEE is passed it is not taken again.

Extra Curricular/ASB/Link Crew

Q: What is there to do besides academics?

A: ­ Clubs"“over 50 different clubs. Students can create a club for just about anything.
­ On campus radio/entertainment during lunch.
­ Dances held during the year include Homecoming, Vice Versa and Prom.
­ Some After School Activities include our Talent Show, Battle of the Bands, Lip Sync, and Fashion show.
­ Competitive clubs including Dance Team, International Equestrian League and Surf Team.
­ Theatrical performances including plays, musicals and Comedy Sportz.
­ Athletics include three seasons of sports and year-round Cheer. Fall sports are boys water polo, golf, volleyball, tennis, football, and boys and girls cross country. Winter sports are girls water polo, soccer, basketball and wrestling. Spring sports are swimming, track & field, baseball, softball, tennis and golf.
­ The ASB link on our Agoura High School website has information for each class, blue crew and more.

Q: When do students need to start keeping track of community service hours and how do they do that?

A: Community service hours are a requirement  for graduation from high school in LVUSD. Please go to the attached link for more information.

Q: Regarding clubs: does a new club require an AHS staff person or can it be an "outside" staff liaison?

A: Clubs need to have an AHS staff member as an advisor, but can have outside people help as well.

Q: I have a 10th grader new to the school. Will the Link Crew contact him?

A: Many of the new students not in 9th grade have been contacted. If your child has not been contacted and you would like him/her to be, please contact Alice Baldecchi at ahschargerlinkcrew@gmail.com

Q: If my child is late because of a doctor/dental appointment, do they need a note from doctor/dentist?

A: They only need to bring a note or call the Attendance Office. If the student leaves during the day that is when he/she needs to have a doctor's stamp on the off-campus pass.

Q: Who do we send a note about missing days for a trip?

A: First go to the Attendance office page of the AHS website and download the pre-approved absence form. Return the form to the Attendance office at least 2 weeks before the scheduled trip. If the absence is for 5 days or more, the pre-approved absence form must be filled out and a short-term independent study contract must be completed before the trip. Contact the Attendance office as early as possible for more information.

Q: Is a professional theatrical job (film, tv) considered an excused absence if you are informed prior to absence?

A: Professional theatrical jobs are considered excused absences.

Counseling and College

Q: How is a schedule change accomplished if a student needs to switch to a sports PE period after try-outs?

A: Switches for P.E. sports schedules are made at the beginning of each semester. Students submit a change of program request form to the Counseling office signed by the Coach and their Parent allowing the program change, and the counselor will look to see if the change is possible and change the student's schedule.

Q: Are both GPA and SAT scores considered for college admissions?

A: Yes.

Rules and Procedures

Q: Will Aeries codes change for ALL students or just freshmen?

A: Aeries log-in information remains the same for students coming from a LVUSD school. Students new to the District may contact the Registrar in the counseling office for details on logging in to Aeries.

Q: Regarding the dress code: Can students wear hats to school? Does the dress code apply at school activities like football games?

A: The dress code applies to outside activities like football games because they are school activities. Hats are allowed. Rules about slogans and images on shirts also apply to hats. Some teachers might ask their students to remove their hats while in their classroom.

Q: When does the parking lot near the gym or behind the school open to parents for parking at sporting events/practices?

A: After school (3:00). The Parking lot is for students/staff until 3:00.

Q: What is the procedure for the Fall Fire Season if it gets close to Agoura. Or earthquake procedure?

A: In the event that there is a disaster, students evacuate to the football stadium. If the decision is made to send students home, a person who is on the emergency card (parent or other adult) must come and sign the student out. We can only release a student to someone who is on the emergency card. If we need to evacuate the campus to another site, the same rules apply. We will bus students to a different location and use our all-call system and website to inform parents where we have relocated.